I love recipe templates like this one because the ingredients are really mix and match — you can change them up based on what’s in season, what sounds good, or even simply what you have available in your fridge. At its core, we’re essentially creating a meal based on the nutritional elements that make it up, versus following an exact recipe.
The other thing I love about this template, aside from how customizable it is, is that it can be eaten any time of day. Because it contains eggs, it’ll make a great breakfast — high protein meals are a perfect way to start your day, keeping you full and energized longer — but it’s also a quick and easy meal to fix any time of day. It’s especially good for workout recovery too.
And did I mention it’s quick? Like, ready in under 15 minutes quick? That’s a meal I can reliably make.
Eggs + Meat/Protein + Vegetables + Fruit on the Side
I make this with ground turkey a lot, but you could also use ground beef or beans or another lean protein of your choice.
The quantities listed are based on what fits me, but you can easily scale them down (or up!) or split this up into two meals. I didn’t add in any extras, like cheese or hot sauce, but those would make nice additions based on your taste.
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ lb ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown and season your meat.
- While the meat is cooking, chop your vegetables — in this case, peppers and onion.
- Add 1-2 tsp. of olive oil to a second skillet, then add your peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until softened.
- When your meat is done cooking, remove it from the skillet — you can keep it warm by placing it on a plate in the microwave.
- Wipe out your skillet, then add 2-3 eggs. Using a whisk, scramble the eggs as they cook, adding the peppers and onions in midway through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate: you can add your meat to your eggs, or simply serve it alongside them. Add a full serving a fruit, such as an orange, an apple, or grapes.
Have a favorite scramble combination? Let me know in the comments!